The Cyprus Coeliac Association was founded on 8/10/2008 in Nicosia by people suffering with Coeliac disease or by parents whose children are coeliacs. Its’ mission is to improve the quality of life of people suffering with coeliac disease.
Coeliac disease is intolerance to gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. The body produces gluten-free antibodies after consuming gluten-free foods, which results in the destruction of the inner wall of the small intestine.
- Ensure that people with coeliac disease in Cyprus have access to gluten free food at no cost.
- Assist in the creation of special units where people with coeliac disease or gluten intolerant could be diagnosed/ monitored/ treated.
- Create awareness as regards coeliac disease through press releases, events, lectures etc.
- Cooperate with governmental and other bodies in Cyprus and abroad with the main objective to create awareness for coeliac disease and promote the association’s mission and objectives as set herein.
- To ensure that males suffering from coeliac disease who should serve the military service (which is obligatory in Cyprus) are granted an exception based on their condition.
- Create awareness amongst the authorities and other governmental bodies as regards the challenges faced by coeliacs so that actions are taken.